Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tracking the First Three Minutes




I'm not fond of the term, "Older Posts" any more than I am fond of the term, "Senior citizen." Senior in my dictionary means high school and the harrowing days of trying to get through same alive. My mother's comment on Graduation Day was, "You were supposed to wear black shoes." Where were the gushing glory statements regarding my triumph?? My reply was, "It's too hot for black." Her quick response was, "You think green is cooler?" Yes, way cooler, although I would have phrased it differently. Trying on sophistication at that age, my friends and I would have said, "Trop chiqu-er" as we hobbled around in spike heels and crinolines. How liberating now not to be a senior and to be allowed the freedom of jammies while e-mailing. Since the template on my Blob forbids changing Older Posts, I suggest you plant in your mind such Shire-ish possibilities as Other Scribbles and Formidable Yesterdays. My granddaughter has been drawing a comic strip featuring Tapioca Custard and Dijon Mustard which she calls, "Flustered Verbatim." I'll ask her for suggestions. I enquired what the Japanese might be on the illustration for this post. Her reply: i have no idea what the middle line is, but the first one is talking about a plum tree and a crab (maybe) and the last is literally translated as "mountain, love, alas!" (maybe). This is my kind of answer. Several newscasters, while commenting on the new presidency, mentioned, "generational shift." Isn't that just another way of saying senior? I've never thought generationally. I think whimsically, which keeps the bones a'dancing. Obama began the first minutes of his presidency listening while Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Gabriela Montero and Anthony McGill played the old Shaker hymn, "Simple Gifts." What symbolically rich first minutes!



The blessings of agelessness, whimsy, and favorite winter slippers be yours.




1 comment:

  1. I sit in a story...is it a box?,a boomerang?, a bullet?...a bath to cleanse the soul of ancestral agony? Or maybe my story...is your story...a story that leads, borrows and blesses the path of just being in and of and about the story...it's all there is, really.

    or is it?

    ReplyDelete