Monday, January 12, 2009

Family, All Kinds












I've had a request for a photo of the Blobber. The closest I could come was a photo of the Blobber's brother, the dashing dashabout. There's a resemblance. He has curly hair and I don't. He has straight teeth and I don't. His aura seems to be stripes and mine is sparkly. However, the 'tude is the same. Also, note a photo of Great-Uncle Farmer Ray who pitched a season for the St. Louis Browns. I am posting a poem by my cousin Karen. It was published in Autumn Leaves, the online poetry (mostly Native American) journal. I have permission b/c I am family. I've never met her. I have met her brother, "Chili."I found him on a whitepages.com search. When he answered the phone I heard him say, "It's a relative and she's talkin' to us!" In two shakes of a turkey's tail, he and his wife jumped in their car and drove from St. Louis, MO to Durham, NC to view this wonder.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Faded Glory by Karen DuChateaux

********
Breakers pound, endlessly
heartbeating on the beach;
the Santiago rests quietly,
patiently, oblivious to
winter storms raging.
Waves become calm surf,
barnacles grow. Still
the Santiago waits, serene
in endless dreams of days
when she proudly rode
those same waves now
playing tag through her ribs.

_________________________the blessings of family-- quirky, dysfunctional, absent, or close be yours on this Goodnewsday.

1 comment: