Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Spelling Liszt

I have a great affection for Liszt. My signature piece in high school was Liebestraum. Spelling his name was harder than playing his pieces. I tried creating a phrase such as Lazy Icicles Slip...and then came the stalling out. What to do with the z? I was a terrible pianist but a terrific announcer of pieces. I became so impassioned during a contest talking about the rhapsodies that I actually won. Romance was in the air and I had put it there! My teacher said I won on "flourish." I won with Liebestraum and the prize was a trip to North Carolina to perform for the International Platform Association. Platform apparently was an old-timey word for "stage." The best part was that I rode up from St. Pete, Fl. with strangers, one of whom was a blind pianist. I so much enjoyed their company. We stopped at my first Carolina waterfall and I tried to describe it to the blind pianist. He said, "It's sounds like you playing the piano." I was reminded of this when I read entries on the Susanna Foster Chronicles. http://www.susannafosterchronicles.com Among the many musicians and singers named, there was my old friend Liszt. If you happen to think of a reminder phrase, pass it along. Do include icicles in some way as a tip o' the hat to The Shire. And take a listen on YouTube: Evgeny Kissin and Liebestraum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kKoHqdImYE&feature=relatede He knows and I always advocate putting a little romance in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment