Friday, January 23, 2009

Send the Light



People rate books as Lifechanging or Most Influential. I can say that Teetoncey, a Young Adult first-in-a-trilogy by Scott O'Dell, fits the bill on both those categories. I read it in the early 70's in California and became fevered with seeing the Outer Banks of North Carolina and the lighthouse at Okracoke. Years later, I snapped the photo. One of my prized possessions is a miniature book called, what else, Lighthouses. For a bookmark, there is a teeny blue-striped plastic lighthouse hung on a thin satin ribbon. The photos are luscious and almost every page has a quote. How Moi! I have seen only a few lighthouses: Ockracoke, Hatteras, St. Mark's. However, I have looked up and read about practically all. Their history and symbolism is inspiring. My favorite "light" is not really a house but she is a light and she is a beacon of friendship: the Statue of Liberty. When I saw her up close and personal on the eve of a 4th of July, with a small brass band playing, I was struck by how delicate her power was. The copper alone weighs 31 tons and yet, this statue of a woman with a torch in a star garden had a foot upturned as if she would take flight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The lighthouse lifts its massive masonry,
a pillar of fire by night, a cloud by day."
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
************************************************************************
The blessings of light and safe arrival be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment