Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Naming of Rivers




I was delighted when the publisher of Autumn Leaves gave permission to post one her poems. There are so many! This one has certain elements I find especially appealing: I like the naming of rivers. Trees, of course, are impossible to pass up. Singing to the river is the icing(it's freezing out the door of the Shire so I have ice on my mind) on the cake. I'm assuming you know that it should be eaten on a picnic down by the riverside. Parkas, ahoy! I read on the americanrivers.org site that there is a future in energy from old mills. If you've ever been to Mabry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you will know why I say, "Double yay to that!" Sing to a river today.Sing of the seasons and faraway friends and homework and studying war no more. Sing so I can hear you!


******************************************************
Early Winter on the Brandywine
by Sondra Ball


........................................................
By the edge of the Brandywine


where weeping willows grow,


I find a fallen tree trunk


still clear of snow.


............................................
I sit upon the tree trunk,


watch grey green waters flow


southward towards the Chesapeake


through banks of snow.


............................................
I sing to the Brandywine:
green waters,


clean waters,


where do you flow?


............................................................
I hear the river answer:


.......................................
over hills,


over rills,


through the white snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment