Sunday, January 25, 2009

Spring Sprang Sprung







photo credit: Douglas Clark Taylor, a Cameron Man
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Inauguration Day snow has melted and a touch of Spring has come to the Shire. Spring sprang sprung. It's an excuse to quote my favorite Robbie Burns poem on this his birth date. I discovered he did not write it. What am I going to do about the relentless fact-finding Internet?? I am told he revised an earlier version of a soldier's. A quandary. Would the song have been known without Robert Burns? Should the soldier's scribbles be always published alongside? Looking at various sites I see that the fact is not well-known. Should I be the one to provide this educational jolt? I believe in freedom of information. However, I also believe in the world of magical realism. Consequently, here is my take on the quandary:
I have decided to un-fact
and keep the image of my youth intact.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My love is like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in June :
My love is like the melody
That’s sweetly played in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in love am I :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.
Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.
And fare thee weel, my only love,
And fare thee weel a while !
And I will come again, my love,
Thou’ it were ten thousand mile.a poem by Robert Burns
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I send you a Scottish blessing:
++++++++++++++++
"May the blessing of light be on you, light without and light within. May the blessed sunlight shine on you like a great peat fire, so that stranger and friend may come and warm himself at it. And may light shine out of the two eyes of you, like a candle set in the window of a house, bidding the wanderer come in out of the storm."

No comments:

Post a Comment