Sunday, February 1, 2009

Tuesdays (for the most part) with Moi


Coming Soon: The All New Tuesday Blob Wherein Secrets are Revealed. So it isn't Tuesday yet. So sue moi. You didn't really think I'd last long in absentia, did you? My arm was twisted by Carolyn Meyer's comment,"What a sibling pair." This I found greatly amusing. I wrote a poem about my brother once in which I compared him to a scarecrow. And I'm fairly certain the haute couture photo he took of moi in high school was an assignment of revenge. When I was nine, I had a collection of saint statues on an improvised altar. We were living in Cali, Colombia where the flowers could be picked daily. I returned from a bouquet scouting outing with my Baptist missionary friends, who already had issues with my altar, only to discover my brother had painted all the statues vivid avant-garde colors from head to toe, including Santa Rita whose blood running from her forehead no longer contrasted with her saintly pallor. I yelled, "Merde!" My mother went into one of her non-sequitur lectures about how I should appreciate his artistry b/c he was the world's most wonderful brother. And, she added," You are the Little Sister." There was no winning in that household. When he accidentally set the Christmas tree on fire, I was outraged. My mother scolded, "He almost died!" We.. All... almost died! It is a serious and pleasing wonder that in our golden years, he and I are such good friends. Of course, I don't let him visit. It's true what the delightful Ms. Meyer said. Roberto and I are a sibling pair!
.........
may the blessings of childhood pranks and pleasures be with you (to tide you over till Tuesday) this day.....

No comments:

Post a Comment