Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Of the Not Fully Recognized Class


I didn't want to hear about the cherry tree. Who says George Washington didn't chop it down? I've been to his house. I've seen the cherry blossoms across the Potomac. I know there is a possibility of the story being true or not true. Who's to prove one way or the other? Maybe that wasn't even George Washington's house. Did I have to be told Lincoln wasn't much of a writer? I am weary of sorting through facts, fiction, faction, illusion, and the surreal. Personally, I go for cosmic teachings but whatever floats your boat and doesn't harm children is fine to my mind. I think what I think and I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like. One thing I don't like is the presidential birthdays holiday. I like birthdays and I like holidays but I'm with Aaron Copland and his Fanfare for the Common Man. How about celebrating the birthday of ordinary blokes and blokettes? The day laborer, the charwoman, the behind the scenes guy, the gandy dancer, the tireless nightshift cabbie, the stay-at-home volunteer, the dogged rookie reporter,the grassrooter, the pure of heart--these have emancipated and shaped the country as much as anybody and with fewer sidetrips into questionable behavior involving killing. On Blob this Tuesday, I'm suggesting a cake in honor of the February people who didn't become topics of myth and history, the unsung people who go to work on their birthdays. Go to work! but celebrate with cake. You'll have plenty of company. No, I'm not baking the cake myself. The baker up at 4:00 a.m.(see photo) kept my corner of the Shire aromatic with spun cinnamon and shredded coconut. By special permission from Robert Sims, singing along will be my contribution....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1MarBtUvW4
..................................

She Dwelt Among Untrodden Ways
........
She dwelt among the untrodden ways
Beside the springs of Dove,
Maid whom there were none to praise
And very few to love:
A violet by a mossy tone
Half hidden from the eye!--
Fair as a star, when only one
Is shining in the sky.
She lived unknown, and few could know
When Lucy ceased to be;
But she is in her grave, and, oh,
The difference to me!"--William Wordsworth
......
...the blessing of the ordinary, the reliable, the beautiful be yours....

No comments:

Post a Comment