Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Goblins and Ghosties and Hallow to You

I don't get into the politics of Halloween. Yes, I know the origins of Jack o'Lanterns and the sinister side of witchcraft but my pumpkins are allowed dentures during the day and my witches carry buckets of silvery stars to cast as blessing spells, or brooms to sweep away bad dreams.


I only draw happy. AT OUR HOUSE-1979


They come by close sets of five or six,
never too many at once.
It can be counted upon that
there will be a rock star,
a hula dancer, a clown,
an ever-young princess.

In the past, it has often rained here
on this special night.
Generally, though, the weather
joins the masquerade:
fog patches tease and enhance,
swirl and lie low.
The cries of, "Trick or treat!"
echo down the dark back alleys,
echo down to the boundary road.
My little ones grow;
their imaginations flourish.
They refine their old favorites:
the Straw Man and the Wicked Witch.
I send them off with goodbyes of,
"Happy haunting!"
and listen for the echoes
down the streets,
the clear crisp replies,
"Trick or treat!"
magically, ever-fair,
down the lanes, down the years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


*******************


....may the blessings of feathery masks and bumpy gourds be yours...




No comments:

Post a Comment