Monday, April 13, 2009

Philosophy, Jokes, and Extraordinary Stuff



"East side, west side." Each person reading the Blob today will have been to NYC and has his or her own version of what constitutes the favored 'hood. Clearly, on this visit, mine was Central Park. Upon entering, (and I have no idea where that was) and encountering the dancer, I knew this was my magical, mystical destination. She was one of those statue type mimes, all silvery from the ornaments in her hair to the tips of her shoes. Her eyes had the expressive melancholy that reminded Moi of the little dancer in Carolyn Meyer's book, Marie Dancing, about the young ballerina who posed for Degas. A dollar in the bucket for "my" ballerina bought a short performance which included a hand over her heart and a kiss blown into the crisp April air. She was a prelude, a hint of what was to come: Shakespeare Garden. Oh, the quotes, the flowers, the rustic cross thatch fence, the hilly ascension to the castle. I wanted to plant a stake in the ground declaring, "This is where I will stay forever." Strolling past benches could be a daily meditation reading the inscriptions. " For Carlos, because he was a good man." "In memory of Dr. Blanka & Ivor Spender who found sanctuary in this park and in this country." I lost complete track of time, or at least my track led through the ramble, past the lake, and looped through the strawberry fields. A poet could easily be a songwriter here. Later, when we visited my brother's studio, he asked if I wanted to check my e-mail. I said there wouldn't be any breaking news, just philosophy, jokes, and extraordinary stuff--the best! But really, I wanted to wait to gather my thoughts, to weigh my words so you would know. Will said, "Don't you worry, Mimsey. We'll make plans to get you back here soon." Back to my 'hood. The tiny dance, the quotes, the benches, the walking till feet refused to walk two inches more. Central Park, NYC. It gives a whole new meaning to, "Extraordinary stuff."

"This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath

May prove a beauteous flow'r when next we meet."

artwork: Robert Janz

quote: Shakespeare Garden

........may the blessings of chance encounters, some little histories, and rare plantings be yours...

4 comments:

  1. thanks for this beautiful trip through my park - glad you liked it. c will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christine,

    Thank you so very much for inspiring me to start my very own blog! It will never be as poetic as yours but hopefully some will find it artfully inspiring. Your story 'Christine' will post in a few more days.

    For anyone interested my site is www.healingwoman.blogspot.com

    Best,
    Cheryl Dolby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! I think I'll rest on my laurels right now. Thank you!! Will and Cheryl. I can't wait to see the Christine story. She is so much better than I could ever be! The sneak peak made Moi want to follow her around all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you noticed but I have elected to become one of your followers. How could I help it? Words and poetry this fluid deserves an audience. You are so deserving of the story I wrote for you Christine. Everyone who reads it will see your radiance (I hope) This blogging is challenging and tiring but I love it. Thanks again for the encouragement.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete