Monday, March 23, 2009

A Rose



peace rose............................>




A rose by any other name is still a rose. Well, maybe, but I have a penchant for renaming which was handed down by a friend of my mother's in 1937. Leo (Eleanor) did not like my mother's name, Della. Leo didn't think it perky enough for my naturally curly red-haired mother who had once been offered a job with the Ogilvy company because of her incredible hair. So Della became Judy, a good combo for Janz. She was Judy Janz until 1991 when I started taking her to the doctor and she would have to fill out forms using her legal name. I noticed a withering going on and it struck Moi that I should tell the doctor that she was Judy. What a difference. It took twenty years off her age. When my friend Sherry Boone was writing her stories she wanted to know what I'd like to be called. Out of spite, to irritate someone named Claudia, I asked for Claudia as my character name. Sherry said no. "It has to have the ring of the cash register...like Christieeeeen does." I had never thought of myself as a cash cow but I enjoyed the years I was Claudine. For the '70s writing class, I chose the pen name, Zeppha (feminine for Joseph, dreamer of dreams) and Wilder for the writer of Our Town. After a year of classes, a ritzy friend, Scott, said I had to have a 3rd part to my name if I were ever going to make it big on The New York Times Bestseller List. I chose,'Neuf" which is #9 in French and, yes, there is a story that goes with that! Zeppha Wilder Neuf. How likely would you be to read her book? Scott became attached to referring to Moi as Neuf. I even received snail mail at the house addressed to Neuf. The mail carrier was very understanding. My latest incarnation as Moi I find touching. I like being Moi so much I may cease and desist the Renaming Game...unless it's part of a longer appellation. Christine (ding ding) Mimsica Moi.
Comments are welcome with the warning; they can be modified.
.....
may the blessings of remembering who you are at even the darkest times be yours whatever you call yourself on any given day.....

.........

2 comments:

  1. i think gertrude would agree with, at-least some of this but - as far as i know - neither she or alice were into name-changing. c will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think gertrude would agree with most of this but, as far as i know, neither she or alice would be into name-changing. keep up the good work - love your writing. c will.

    ReplyDelete