Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Himself, the Daddy


My dad was a fair-minded man, the Libra of all Libras. One of his amusements was to have me argue both sides of a question. This worked well on topics such as mosquitoes. Yes, there should be mosquitoes in the world because of the food chain; we wouldn't have toads without mosquitoes. No, mosquitoes are bad because they kill humans indiscriminately. I liked keeping my responses simple. I was a simple child. However, if the topic was one about which I had passionate interests, the going was tough. I remember the Sparkle Plenty exchange. No, it's not good for girls to have dolls as they are better off exploring the natural world and housing a pet cockatoo instead. Yes, every little girl should have a doll. Personally, I didn't really see the point of the discussion. Anybody attempting to take away my Sparkle Plenty doll, my one and only childhood carry-on item, was in trouble. I found these exercises in fair-mindedness tedious. Nowadays, though, as I read some of the heated debates about health care, flu shots, guns, abortion, and civility, I'm thinking my dad gave me a rare gift. None of these "threads" existed in my day but if they had, I would have been taught to see both sides. Seeing where people "are coming from" helps to know where they are going. The whole point of my activist existence is to set the record straight. There have been times when it was futile to find the good so for myself I have instead of seeing the good in all, I look for the good and hope to find it. I have learned my dad's lesson but I have applied it differently. I'm reminded of a lecture I heard years ago in which a man made the startling pronouncement, "You have to close your mind to keep the garbage out." The Amish have shunning and the snobs have social exclusion. I have drifting off to a better planet. My dad, strange to say, would approve if I had first given the party in question a hearing. Next Monday, I will have my memorial lunch for the anniversary of this splendid man's death. I will go to Kildare's for a traditional Irish repast with my traditional hot water rather than a Guinness . My dad wasn't Irish but as in everything else, he gave it a try during his six years in Belfast and I hear tell he liked it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...may the road rise up to meet you with a couple of characters along the way to learn you...

3 comments:

  1. so, how would you argue about burns? for my money, one should stay clear; they're a danger to your health. on the other hand, one could argue that they're good for cooking, or that there may be some good poetry, there. will be interested in your profound thoughts on the matter. will

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...from Dian in the Famous Roanoke:

    This is one of my favorites of all your blogs. I admire the Librans so much.They are such diplomatic souls, always weighing justice on their scales and cherishing the beautiful things in life. Lucky you to have had one for your Papa. What sign was your mother? Your brother? I think it is perfect that your father had you argue both sides of things. Since you are a Gemini, the Sign of the Twins, you have a dual nature. I also agree that if there is anyone that I know that looks for the good and inspires great actions, it would be you, my friend and faerie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it still works, after all these years. freewil

    ReplyDelete