Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Photo Credit: Michael Fenichel
Eureka Christmas Tree Addition: Randy B.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last year at this time, I posted a "Person of the Year." Eva Sachtschale was my choice and I'm pleased to update you on her progress. She had a very good year. I'm thinking for this post, instead of a person I would like to suggest a symbol for the coming year. I'm big on positive symbols as you know (like the logo for Save the Children) else why would I have turned various apartments into a Little Red Schoolhouse, a Shire, and a Treehouse? For this last Tuesday of 2010 post, I am ending with a look to the future instead of the past. One of the images that captured my imagination recently will be my new "Metaphor for 2011" image. Remember the post about the 500 Santas in Central Park? Well, on that same day, I was sitting in the Boathouse Cafe. I was struck by the beauty of the view: a rowboat anchored with a small Christmas tree in its stern. I thought of the several times in my life when there has been upheaval and I felt I had been set adrift in a rowboat under a big sky and wondered where I would be led. There had been a feeling of exhilaration at what I might find and a timidity that I might be not up to it, guided though I was. As I was looking at the pond, I thought I would update that image to, The Christmas Tree in the Boat. Yes, our boats set sail for 2011 but they are beautiful boats with all good things in them. In my case, the number 20 is my birthday number (and my daughter's and granddaughter's) and 11 is my dad's and son's birthday number. What a splendid year it will be. Christmas will follow us all of the days. Postcards along the way are in our destiny!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
New moon coaxing stars
To sprinkle bright messages.
Peace, good hopes be yours.
...may the blessings of a New Year surround you and grant you adventure...






4 comments:

  1. It will be a splendid new year Christine. I'm always so behind at this time of year but wanted to be sure to make a comment about your last post. I loved how you said that your tender ideas of life have gained a patina now. That is such a beautiful thought. The poem that you chose was beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...from Diansique in Roanoke:

    And I have my own symbols for you.... adventuresome wings, shimmery magical wand, sparkling faerie dust, and of course, the postcards you have sent me along the way. You are a true free spirit and live on the leap of faith aspect of life. The U adores that about you, too. I admire you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...from Michael Fenichel in the Big Apple:


    Thanks for sharing, and nice to see you enjoying so much the web offers creative-type people.
    You've got some very interesting photography and philosophy on that blog of yours! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it should be interesting to see where your boat lands this year, if it does; but it can also be exciting, and rewarding, to continue drifting, from shore to shore. will-be-done

    ReplyDelete