Sunday, June 20, 2010

Nearing the Solstice





It was a seashell kind of morning. I expected to walk out of the door of the Shire and find the ocean rolling along instead of the trees. I put on the bracelet I received on my sixth birthday and Diansica's beads from Key West. Daff and Oto gave me a L'Occitane tote which I immediately decorated with a sunflower. I wore my Thomas Tallis skirt (named after the fact that I had sewn it just before singing in the tiny New Hope Presbyterian Church for the first time and the anthem was by Thomas Tallis). Then it was off to Mexican food at Casa Ibarra, the beautifully restored yellow house in Hillsborough. After lunch we stopped in at Goodwill where I gave a little gasp. The Angel of the Day had been a card B.E. made several years ago, "The Angel of Kite Flying." I've never known quite what it meant but as I was browsing the books, I saw The Kite Runner for 81 cents. It's a book on my list to read. I opened it to see how I liked the beginning paragraphs and discovered it was set in Golden Gate Park where some kites were flying, "...a pair of kites, red with long blue tails, soaring in the sky." A blurb review by Isabel Allende stated that after reading this book, everything else seemed bland. Sounds good!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




...may your special day be either a good memory or sometime in the future and bring you blessings.




4 comments:

  1. sounds like a lovely celebration of your day of birth, and a welcoming of the upcoming summer solstice. thanks for sharing it with us. will

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday and happy solstice to you Christine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. from Gillian in France:
    Enjoyed your 'blob' very much especially the 'skirt' part and your liking for Occitaine....
    One of the few products which has remained french.

    Caught up with the blob about Johnny Depp and your favourite actors...
    you really are a 'kindred spirit' as Anne of Green Gables used to say!

    Richard Burton was superb and one of my biggest regrets in this life
    is never having met him. I worked on the costumes for his film 'Wagner' and
    often heard his name banded about. I'm a Richard Burton lover...too!
    He was superb.
    I like Rex Harrison (talking of Harrisons) and miss him...isn't it a shame that
    people don't go on and on instead of growing older and dying!

    After Lunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. from Lauren in Cleveland:
    Love the pic....great wisdom....i think i would want to plant a tree too

    ReplyDelete