Friday, January 1, 2010

2010

photo credit: Henry Hobbs


Lo and behold. I must have known I was going to be a blobber. I found an old very short poetry column I did for the community newspaper my dad started in retirement. Here is the New Year's entry for 1962:

"January is the time for kings. The Magi brought gifts for the Child, while in the west, the god of gates and doors was being worshipped. Let us be kings in our own hearts and remember our treasuries of blessings this first month of the year.

The beautiful days of my life
Have lost their number
And weave in quiet assemblage
Through endless, lanterned archways.
Clouds and trees and monuments,
Gulls and winds and elegies
Dance with people, passing.
I have seen festive tables
In stately elegance
Shimmer in the sun.
I hum a soft surprise
And step in time with the grand parade."

~~~~~~~~

The following year, there is this entry.

"Don't forget that whoever opens the door and lets the New Year in has its responsibility and must be hospitable to the unpredicted guest.

A whisper of a smile

And January comes.

A year begun on gentle sighs,

A heart that bravely strums

Its song of love.

A whisper of a smile will linger,

Will caress us as we dream."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...may the joy of good resolutions, this time kept, be with you...






1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful way to start the new year and decade, reading this message from the u, and you. will

    ReplyDelete