Tuesday, December 22, 2009

"When the Snow Lay Round About"















...The images above feature Christmas in Roanoke, Eureka, at Jan Hus Church, and Fisherman's Wharf...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


****




Emily Dickinson wrote a poem which begins, "This is my letter to the world." I echo it by saying, "This is my Christmas card posted to the web" from the Shire, where the creek announces to the sparrows that Christmas is coming soon and they sing their carols in return. The starlight trims the skies and the silence is broken only by small creatures (advent)uring in the woods. Yes, I have caught them decorating, too! I am enclosing an old poem but new to most.


+++++++++++++++


I sit with Christmas on my lap,


my tiny gift encircled by


bits of pine and ribbon,


shy angels ever making music


on sea-blue paper;


hopefully it holds the scents


of a cheery morning,


the memory of snowy childhood years


read about in books darkly illustrated,


the sounds of tunes quietly harmonious.




I muse on how to wrap


the wishes which it brings--


how to stow away


a thousand splendid moments


of surprise and joy


that I should like to place in it,


which when opened would burst


like time-studied flowers


into an exquisite bouquet.




Go, my little messenger,


my packet of good thoughts,


spread dreams of hope and peace


and Merry Christmasses to come.


~~~~~


...may the wonder of these winter nights keep you warm...

2 comments:

  1. we thank you for this lovely, expressive christmas gift of hope for a healthy and joyous world; one gift that no-one will return after the holy-day is over. will

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. The poem and picture of the Native American angel has given me an idea for a new angel series. Thank you for posting this beautiful Christmas message.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete