Friday, September 18, 2009

Of Stamps and Uncles and Poems, Oh Yes!














I have an unusual stamp collection. No, it's not all neatly set out in albums. It comes on postcards and letters starting when I was very young and my Uncle Henry, who worked on a railroad mail run, took it upon himself to send letters and postcards overseas. I didn't start answering those letters for decades. I don't know why he kept up his end of the bargain because it seemed he was "talking to a wall." My dad must have mentioned how much they meant to me. Uncle Henry decorated his messages with National Wildlife Federation stickers which I thought were the world's best art next to Arthur Rackham. One year, my dad sent for a set of Metropolitan Opera "stamps" I could paste in a scrapbook. That was the extent of my stamp collection. I never finished that project. It wasn't the same as receiving a stamp on a letter. However, I was hooked from the very first encounter of an Uncle Henry stamp and was delighted when he sent a packet of foreign stamps of birds. In the 1960's, he bought a farmhouse he named, "Cardinal Hollow." The National Wildlife Federation sent him a plaque for being a devoted "back yard" naturalist. In a letter:" WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT--I PLANTED OVER 2000 SHRUBS AND TREES ON THE 60 ACRES AT THE HOLLOW WITH THE AID OF AN INDIAN HELPER. I ALSO BOUGHT A TELESCOPE AND BECAME A WATCHER OF THE SKIES, PURCHASED A PAIR OF BINOCULARS AND BECAME A FAIR TO MIDDLING ORNITHOLOGIST FOR A COUNTRY BOY. MY IMMORTALITY WILL BE BACK THERE WHERE I MOSTLY PLANTED VARIETIES THAT WOULD REPRODUCE THEMSELVES FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS AND WHERE MY UNKNOWN, UNSEEN EPITAPH WILL LIE AT THE BASE OF A MIGHTY OAK." I was in my twenties when I began the dedication to commemoratives. I would buy a small batch and put them on my Christmas cards. Somehow, I thought the stamp and the enclosed poem was as Christmassy as I wanted to be. I wasn't a Santa person. Christmas was indeed about joy but a reverent, exhilarating inward kind of joy, a stately three kings kind of joy. I thought gifts should be only for children. After exploring on my first computer and discovering Photostamp.com, I felt I had found my medium. The first one I created had an Uncle Henry postcard in the background. My favorite, though, is of Barbara and her little brother, another Henry. It's a tip o' the hat to someone they never met but would have been overjoyed to know. Perhaps soon, I can write about the King of Postcards, my brother, who faithfully, also didn't mind talking to a wall. I hope I can include one or two photos at that time. Uncle Henry was the poetry reciter in the family, even better than his sister-in-law, my mother. He said once, "You need to learn long poems by heart in case you are ever in jail." I decided to reach in, eyes closed, to the Uncle Henry shoebox with the birdhouse design to see if there was a poem I could share with you. Statistically, it's almost impossible to pick a letter or card without a poem and sure enough, here is the one that found me. I've put it in Uncle Henry capitals style:
"GROW STRONG, MY COMRADE...
THAT YOU MAY STAND
UNSHAKEN WHEN I FALL; THAT I MAY KNOW
THE SHATTERED FRAGMENTS OF MY SONG WILL COME
AT LAST TO FINER MELODY IN YOU
THAT I MAY TELL MY HEART THAT YOU BEGIN
WHEN PASSING I LEAVE OFF,
AND FATHOM MORE."
Typically, there is no author cited. Uncle Henry expected me to know. Or find out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~
...may the blessings of old stamps, old poems to remind you of the best of old times be yours...




























2 comments:

  1. Christine, I'm passing your blog address along to a very fine poet who lives in Floyd County. She graduated from Hollins and now is a bit perplexed as to exactly what to do with her poetry degree! I told her your entire family seems to be filled with poets. She will love this post, as I do. Can't wait to hear more posts from the "Treehouse."

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely reflections on the effects the letters, poems and stamps from your uncle had on the development of your talent for poetry and beautiful design - or, maybe it is all genetic. in any event it's a great story, thanks.
    will

    ReplyDelete