Saturday, August 1, 2009

"How Can I Keep from Singing?"


With Dr. Braxton's powerful, "Just show up!" message echoing in my ears, I decided I wanted to try a church in the 'hood. Looking at the different websites for clues as to what kinds of outreach the choices mentioned, I picked Jan Hus, a progressive Presbyterian house of worship. Jan Hus, the Czech martyr! As Will and I stepped inside, I was struck by the "feeling at home" signs: the Moravian star hanging high, almost fading into the stained glass window behind; the fat candle resting in a bowl of seashells; the sound of musicians practicing, "Down in the River to Pray. The bulletin had these lines: "Since 1888, the doors of this church have been open to those who seek a new way to engage with the Spirit and eat at the welcome table. In those early years, Jan Hus served the needs of the Czech immigrants...We continue to honor our Czech founders by singing our closing hymn in the Czech language." The sermon began with a song which I thought was a sea chantey but then I realized it must be the theme from Gilligan's Island. Not being familiar with the show, I was intrigued by the summary of characters. And where would this tie in with the Scripture reading about the storm on the Sea of Galilee? It turned out that the "well-intentioned bumblers" on the island were very like the "misdirected band of hopeful Christians" which have served as illumination for centuries. "Name" is the Latin word for "boat." She spoke of us as being "in the boat with Christ." By she I mean Elaine Connolly who urged us to " be each other's reminders" of the "tranquility of God." She said we must raise or voices against the storm and cry out, "Peace!" Two of the hymns on that topic were among my favorites. Peace Like a River and My Life Flows On. Other music included a zippy De Colores and a rocked out version of I Can See Clearly Now performed by Christian McLeer (who also plays the accordion). The title for today's blob comes from My Life Flows On.
"Since love is Lord of heav'n and earth. how can I keep from singing?"
~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~...may you find blessings in the storms you weather and be assured throughout that the skies will clear, the stars come out....

2 comments:

  1. thank you for this beautiful documentation of a wonderful experience at jan hus, last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the wonders of Blobber. The above comment was, of course, not written by mimja. As a consequence of mimja borrowing Will's computer, his comment came out as hers. At least Blobber posted it on the right day. Progress.

    ReplyDelete