Monday, June 8, 2009

An Extravagance of Adjectives, Gently Placed









I like playful words, whimsical words, words with haloes of sparkles around them. I avoid what I call crudities and aspire to gathering images so beautiful that my bucket overfills with a sweetness comparable to a Round Meadow morning. My mother was wont to say, (yes, I like those old fashioned Shakespeare expressions which a Shakespearean scholar friend of mine claims it's good I don't understand as they would be banished from my lexicon forthwith). I like fabricated words and monikers. Sometimes I forget if what I have made up is make-believe until Spell Check asks if I want to "Add to Dictionary;" I always respond with Yes! In a notebook, I have some drawings of my Faerie's Dictionaerie. I'm getting sidetracked (again!). I was about to quote my mother quoting Oscar Wilde, "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oh, and that bucket? It's not an ordinary bucket. It's a pail with tin punch cutouts of forget-me-nots and a poem written around the brim in burnished gold calligraphy catching the light. It has the sound of twigs knocking against each other in a summer storm. Oh-oh. I can feel a lecture beaming in about my not living in the Real World. I've heard that one before and before and before. Who needs Tell It Like It Is? This is my Real World. The perfume is heady and the sights dazzling. And it's a catalyst. I received an e-mail while in Eureka which began, "Fear not, my Friendly!" How delightful. How mimsey. How transforming of the day. It caused me to go out and say, "Hi, Friendlies!" to the owners of Dog and "Hi, Friendly!" to Grumpyette and "Hi, Freckles!" to what appeared to be a spotted owl pinata on a porch. And so I say to you, my fine feathered readers, embellish what you write. Decorate your day. I quote my mother quoting Mark Twain: "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." Say it better, flufflier, huger, nicelier..you can seed your garden one phrase at a time and the world will come to see it. Butterflies will inhabit it and crawly creatures with crimson dots on their tails will slither amidst its rockery. Imagination will be its maiden name and yours will be the joy. Etymology. What a lovely word. The etymology of exhilaration: it comes from two Latin words, ex "thoroughly" and hilarare "make cheerful."
....................
.....Add Sides
Stir the pot.
Keep it hot.
Let it not
be all we've got.--CT
......................




...the blessings of kindely, exuberant words and pineapple mornings be yours...






3 comments:

  1. i like words too - especially your words. thanks for another great blob.
    will

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your blog today I wanted to forget my studio work, sit at my computer and write a novel, short story, poem or play. I wanted to install the American Heritage CD sitting by my desk into my computer for more words, I wanted to spend the afternoon sitting by my pond reading all the wonderful books on my 'read' list. I wanted to greet my Polar Bear Club (girls I swim with) by saying "Helllooooo friendlies" Thanks for writing one of the best blogs I've ever read and thanks for the words...Cheryl Healing Woman.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My word!!! What can I say? This is like a Catalyst's dream come true.I am delighted to hear the "Hello friendlies" going out into the world. You have made such a day out of today!!

    ReplyDelete